Latest News on our Building Development Project
An important phase of our Building Development project has been completed. The work was mainly done in the ground floor rehearsal, dressing room and storage areas – and we’re delighted with the improvements that have been made.
Two teams of volunteers from Direct Line and Hanson Regan then painted the stairway and rehearsal rooms – and Hanson Regan very kindly paid for all the materials too!
So, on the ground floor to the right of the theatre building as you turn off Compass Lane, we now have: –
- New dressing rooms;
- A new accessible toilet for cast & crew;
- A larger rehearsal room/community space which can be separated by soundproof partition doors;
- A new accessible stage door;
- New fire exit stairway;
- More wing space; and,
- A new technical room (on the auditorium level).
Can you help?
We now have several smaller projects to get on with and have set up a Follow-On Works team to schedule the work and get it done.
We will only be able to do this with volunteer help from our members and supporters, so if you can hold a paintbrush or like a bit of DIY and can spare a few hours, click here to volunteer.
This phase of works will deliver: –
- A new kitchenette and toilet (costs covered by a grant from the National Lottery Community Fund);
- Backstage staircase removed to create extra storage space;
- Toilet area in the bar renovated;
- Building/repair work finished;
- Part of wall area in the bar re-painted;
- Ground-floor hallway plastered and decorated; and,
- Various improvements recommended by Access and Eco audits that have been completed.
If you’d like to see the ground floor plan for an idea of the remodelled space, click here (some of the finer details have changed, but the walls are all in the right places!):
We are keen to press ahead with phases 3 and 4 of the building works.
This will include: –
- Replacing the existing bridge between the two main areas of the building; and,
- Creating a new foyer area alongside the existing bar (which will be moved to a central location).
Phase 4 (what we’ve all been waiting for!)
- New theatre entrance;
- Accessible stairs and lift at the front of the building creating a much grander first impression – but most importantly creating …an outstanding theatre…for everyone!
If you are more technical, the full planning application can be found here.
Or head straight to the proposed first floor plans here.
Estimated costs for phases 3 and 4 are £595,000. The theatre will contribute £100,000 from its own funds so that means raising £495,000. We hope to secure grant funding for £400,000 and our aim is to raise £95,000 from members and supporters, local businesses and organisations.
Please see our fundraising page for more ways you can help today!
And help us get BLT